About Me

My photo
I'm an extremely blessed woman! I have a wonderful husband, four amazing kids, an awesome Mom and Mom-in-law, Dad-in law, fantastic brothers and sisters and brother and sister in-law, nieces and nephews,a great job and lots of fun friends.

Saturday, January 23, 2010

A few quick trip pics...


Say that fast five times! : )
We've been home one week today, and for the most part it has been a fantastic week. Hanna has done so well and has really shown us her silly and sweet personality. The other kids love her and are doing really well with her as well. Just a few toy territory things here and there, but I'm so proud of all my kids for being so selfless and loving their new sister. The only issue we seem to be having is sleep with her. She fights (and I mean fights) going to sleep at nap time and bed time. I usually have to hold her until she is out cold...she won't let me lay her down or even sit in the rocking chair. Then, she wakes up at least two to three times a night screaming and we go through the whole 30 minutes or more routine. I shouldn't complain...she has done so much better than I thought she would in so many ways, but sleep deprivation is not fun. She was so good on the flight home. She really didn't cry hardly at all and we were lucky to get the bulkhead in the plane and the bassinet! Sweet! She slept in it, ate in it, played in it...yay! We were going to pay extra to upgrade to first class so we would have some room, but by the grace of God a very nice agent at Ethiopian airlines was able to get us the prime seats for FREE! Yay!


We discovered that people don't mind being late...and aren't in any hurry despite anyone else needing to be some where on time. What I mean is we were an hour and a half late leaving Ethiopia, basically because people took their dear. sweet. time. getting on the @$#%$&$* plane. It was unbelievable. It was 24 hours by the time we left our hotel in Ethiopia, until we touched down in Knoxville and boy were we ready to get off. the. plane. We had this screen right in front of us the entire flight and it was agonizing to watch our little plane go every tiny little millimeter toward D.C. Boy were we glad to see this one...

We almost missed our connecting flight and literally ran through Immigration and the D.C. airport with Hanna strapped on my front and Tom and I both loaded down with baggage. I was so relieved when we made our gate just before boarding and almost kissed the gate agent when he told us Tom had time to get us a diet coke...with ICE! For those of you who have travelled outside the country much, you know how much you miss ice. Anyway, that was seriously the best Diet Coke I have ever had in my entire life. Nectar of the gods!
Finally, we were on our way home! That quick one hour flight from D.C. went by so fast, it made my head spin. Here is Hanna's first glimpse of her new home from the airplane...
I think she approves!

Pretty amazing that she looks that happy after that many hours of travel.
Here are just a few more pictures from our time in the hotel with Hanna. You can see what a hoot she is...and that she loves her bath. I'll update with recent family pictures soon. For now, I better get to bed before the first "wake up call" comes.
That's my girl...you should hear the burp she let out after this! : )








8 comments:

Jen said...

she is so cute! sorry to hear she's not sleeping for you. i'm sure she'll adjust once she's used to the time difference and new digs. let's do lunch soon!

titushome said...

So precious!! Glad to hear things are going well!! We'll pray she starts sleeping better....I feel guilty now, I got 9 hours straight sleep last night ;-).

Sarah

JonesEthiopia said...

She is precious.

I know exactly what you mean abou the diet Coke with ICE! We had the same experience. It was indeed the most delicious Coke I'd ever had!

Julie said...

She is darling! I'm so glad all went well on your trip and that everyone is adjusting well. Cant wait to meet your little cutie!

Eastiopians said...

Love love love these pictures of her! I still cringe a little when I think back to the flight home...so so so long and tiring. Man it makes you appreciate being home! :) I hope her sleep anxiety gets better soon but I wouldn't be surprised if that issue took some time for her. Macy also has that as well as some serious food anxiety. I am hoping to report some major improvement by the 6 month mark. Having her sleep in her crib right next to my bed has made a huge difference...we are both actually sleeping! Eva still comes in around midnight to get in bed with us, but that is fine. Everyone seems sleep happy now and I couldn't say that the first month. It was HARD. Thinking of you!

A&W said...

ADORABLE!!! I remember meeting her at the original HH, and it is incredible to see her with her forever family!! What a darling girl!! I want to go back!!!

Kristi J said...

oh, she's so cute...love the pics...she's beautiful...My LL is still waking all night and we've been home 7 months...:)LOL...I'm pretty sure she'll sleep when she becomes a teen :) kj

Lori Inman said...

what a doll she is! Can't wait to meet her.